Poll

This poll has ended.

What is your dream vacation?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Quiz

Which NYT game are you?

image

There was an error. Please try again.

9 Total Questions

Facebook
Subscribe to our email list!

Premier League Title Predictions

Creative Commons (Flickr)
Freshman Daniel Pan predicts that Manchester City will take the winning title for this season’s Premier League.

The Premier League, the highest level of the English football league system, is into its final third of the season. Currently, London’s Arsenal sits at the top of the league by goal difference, with Liverpool in second and Manchester City in third.

I have been a Liverpool fan for years, and this season’s title race has been especially exciting and nerve-wracking. Each team has brilliant players and the potential to be crowned the English champion. We haven’t seen a true three-team title race like this season’s for years.

Liverpool

Liverpool’s beloved manager, Jürgen Klopp, is departing the club at the end of the season, ending an era of clashes against innovative Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola. No one expected Liverpool to pose a significant threat to Arsenal and City, both of whom boast superior financial resources. Yet as Klopp bids farewell, Liverpool aims to gift him the fairy tale ending he deserves: a Premier League triumph. 

The team’s intelligent signings have completely revamped last season’s mediocre midfield. During the summer, Liverpool added four midfielders, all of whom brought new energy and intensity to the team.

Their defense has also been shockingly stout, with center-back duo Virgil Van Dijk and Ibrahima Konate back in form. 

Liverpool might have one of the highest-powered offenses in the league. Striker Darwin Nunez brings chaos and excitement to the attack with his runs behind the opposing defense. Luis Diaz brings flair down the left flank and beats defenders easily. Mohamed Salah, an icon of Liverpool and one of the greatest Premier League right-wingers of all time, scares any defender he faces.

In the clash against Manchester City on March 10, Liverpool showed that they can compete against the defending champions. The game ended in a 1–1 draw, but the Reds controlled the midfield, City’s attack was neutralized and Liverpool created plenty of goal chances. The game displayed Liverpool’s improvement in all three parts. 

However, the team lost two games and tied one in their last five matches, practically eliminating them from the title race. It breaks my heart to say this, but Liverpool has bottled the league.

Prediction: 3rd

Arsenal

Arsenal was in roaring form prior to March, winning eight games in a row. But, recent losses to Aston Villa and Bayern Munich have slowed their momentum. 

This season, manager Mikel Arteta has aimed for Arsenal to control possession. The Gunners’ defense, led by center-back pairing William Saliba and Gabriel Magalhães, has been incredible all season, only allowing 26 goals over the entire season—the least in the Premier League.

For their midfield, Arsenal signed defensive midfielder Declan Rice for approximately 144 million dollars, who has snuffed counter-attacks and provided great cover all season long. Along with brilliant attacking midfielder Martin Ødegaard, the two have allowed Arsenal to dominate games consistently.

The Gunners have a talented offense. Emerging stars Gabriel Martinelli and Bukayo Saka bring incredible pace and a lethal edge as wingers, and a resurgent Kai Havertz as striker exploits the space in the offensive third of the pitch. Arsenal’s attack has been inconsistent at times, but they seem to have finally found their rhythm.

Arsenal still has a shot to take the title, but they need Manchester City to drop points. They are seven points ahead in goal-differential.

Prediction: 2nd 

Manchester City

City has flaws, but they have stepped up in recent seasons when it matters most. In 2019, they were seven points off league leaders Liverpool on New Year’s Day, but they ended the season with 98 points, one point ahead of the Reds. On New Year’s Day 2021, they were once again eight points behind league leaders Liverpool, but eventually won the title. Yet again, City was eight points off the league leaders Arsenal in February 2023, only to complete a historic treble, winning the Premier League, the Football Association Cup, and the UEFA Champions League.

After winning five Premier League trophies in the past six seasons, Pep Guardiola’s reign of dominance could finally be over.

Striker Erling Haaland, the league’s leading goal scorer, was kept off the scoresheet in recent matches against Liverpool and Arsenal. Additionally, City’s best player, midfielder Kevin De Bruyne, is struggling to regain his ability after suffering recurring hamstring injuries that sidelined him for the first half of the season.

While City’s roster is stocked with talent, they look helpless without defensive midfielder Rodri. The team lost four games when Rodri was absent this season. If he picks up an injury or gets suspended for a red card, the team’s hopes for another title may be over. 

Rodri is currently the most well-rounded midfielder in the world. He offers solidity on defense, connects the field well and scores game-winning goals in the biggest games.

However, City is known for ruthless efficiency and consistency in the season’s final months. Every year, rival fans are given hope that their team can defeat the monsters from Manchester. Every year, City squeezes possible title contenders with more and more pressure, slowly chipping away at the points lead and punishing them for dropping points. This year seems no different.

Prediction: 1st 

This Premier League season has produced so many exciting games and breathtaking moments, and the last few games may provide one final twist.

Daniel Pan